Tuesday, July 27, 2010

For all who grieve

You have heard it said. Consider the lilies.
But I say to you
consider the potato.

Two months ago I dug deep holes in the earth
and planted split, old, inedible potato pieces
into the garden in the appointed rows.

Today I went to the garden to grieve.
Sixteen days ago we buried Aunt Grace.
On the hill. Where I knew she would eventually go.

The weeds had sprung up,
the potato stalks were shriveled and tired.
I ripped at the weeds. Angry at their insolence.

And then one stalk bore witness to a miracle yet unseen.
The tiniest potato clung to the roots uprooted.
A minute promise.

With spade in hand and hope in heart,
I dug. Carefully. Gently.

Where I had planted half a potato I counted twelve.
Beautiful. Whole. Perfect.

I went to the garden to grieve.
And left rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment