Sunday, October 17, 2010

Otherwise


On a Friday that’s not a payday
the otherwise friendly mail carrier
delivers the bill from the Rehab Hospital.
I read it, with only partial understanding
of my benefits and liabilities,
as I wait for the plumber with
a too well developed sense of humor
to come and clear the clog
in my otherwise fine kitchen sink.
Dark clouds fill the sky’s stage
and I let clouds darken my mind
with worries about tomorrow
on this otherwise peaceful today.
Thunder rolls, and the sky spends
some time talking to itself.
Rain falls, faster, faster
a lovely light percussion
as steady as the sea. I watch
it fall in sheets, with rhythm
like waves. And waves of gratitude
pound in my heart. I would not
trade away this modest shelter
with a safe roof for
a mansion with no open porch.
I had forgotten I am rich.

5-7-04

No comments:

Post a Comment